As a trained geologist, Norm has worked in the Australian and international mining sector for over 40 years. He is a firm advocate of strategic mine planning and has been witness to the development in this field. Norm has a special interest in computing and mathematics, and in particular, their relationship with and application to exploration and mining.
Norm has worked with Whittle Consulting since 1990 and is a leading Whittle Integrated Strategic Planning trainer. In this role, his geological knowledge and mining experience is an asset to our clients. In 1990, Norm formed mining consultancy, Imageo. His consultancy specialises in the computer-based collection and management of mining and earth science information. In particular he has a professional interest in mining resource and reserve estimation. He now focusses on strategic planning training and his role with Whittle Consulting.
- Qualified geologist.
- Past lecturer at RMIT in Geological Engineering.
- Has published over 18 papers on strategic mine planning and the relationship between computing and mathematics in exploration and mining.
- Chapter editor of AusIMM Monograph 30, “Mineral Resources and Ore Reserve Estimation, the AusIMM Guide to Good Practice.”
- Has trained over 100 organisations in 55 countries over nearly 30 years on the benefits of Whittle Integrated Strategic Planning.
- Was a successful semi-finalist in the Gold Corp Challenge, an innovative internet-based competition to review Gold Corp’s Red Lake data and predict where to drill.
- RMIT (Geology) Fellowship Diploma
- Member of the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (MAusIMM)