Specialists in planning and optimisation
Whittle Consulting are a team of highly experienced industry specialists, who are passionate about adding value to mining businesses. They have a depth of technical expertise, in a range of disciplines including geology, mining engineering, metallurgy, research, mathematics and computing, finance, operational/ financial modelling and analysis. They also have a thorough appreciation of practical, organisational and contextual reality within the mining industry. Whittle Consulting are the experts at embracing and analysing mining complexity.
In the field and onsite.
Whittle Consultants have indepth experience and representation around the world including: Australia, USA, Canada, South Africa, Chile, Peru, Indonesia, UK and more.
New techniques for the mining industry.
Any serious approach to strategic planning must incorporate advanced techniques in both the planning mechanism and the costing methodology. Whilst many mining operators have some type of activity based costing, the introduction of Whittle Integrated Strategic Planning takes this to a new level. Activity Based Costing combined with the Theory Of Constraints creates a powerful analytical basis for decision making across all aspects of a mining operation.
Activity Based Costing (ABC)
Activity Based Costing (ABC) is a methodology that identifies activities in an organisation and determines the cost of each activity by consumption of resources. Whittle Consulting utilises ABC to:
- Project what costs will be when operations change.
- Support the economic evaluation of future alternatives
- Identify the main “Activities” and their respective “Cost Drivers”
- Identify what proportion of each activity’s costs are “fixed/period” and which are “variable/ attributable”
- Dramatically changes the outcome of an Integrated Strategic Planning process. This provides a much more accurate view on how costs will behave as we change the operation in the future
“We thought we were using an Activity Based Costing model but Whittle showed us the real power of a true ABC model. This alone was worth getting Whittle on board.”
Theory of Constraints
The Theory of Constraints (TOC) is a management paradigm. This views any manageable system as being limited in achieving its goals by a very small number of constraints. This means that processes and organisations are vulnerable to their weakest link, which can adversely affect the entire operation. Whittle Consulting utilises TOC to:
- Identify the primary and secondary bottlenecks in systems
- Manage these bottlenecks
- Subordinate everything else. Improving the performance of non-bottleneck parts of the system is either a waste of time or is positively destructive
- Elevate the bottleneck until it is no longer a bottleneck
- Once successful – start again!
“As soon as I saw the way Whittle applied the Theory of Constraints to the strategic planning challenge – I was in. This is what mining has always needed!”